Law Week 2019 Event Partner information
We’re thrilled to have you on board as a Law Week Event Partner for 2019, and have prepared the below information to help you plan your organisation’s involvement:
- Law Week Festival Hub
- Choosing a topic for a successful event
- Law Week grants: how to apply for event funding
The Law Week Festival Hub will be back again in Fed Square during Law Week. Planning is well underway to further enhance the public interaction at the Hub. For you as an Event Partner, the Hub provides an opportunity to distribute information about your organisation’s services, and/or to provide staff to engage with the public face-to-face. Let us know if you would like to be involved.
A successful Law Week event is one that speaks to community interest or need and attracts its intended audience. Promoting your event effectively will help build attendance numbers, and when it can be secured, media publicity is an enormously effective way of spreading the word about your event. It is therefore wise to think about what makes an event attractive to the media when choosing your event’s topic.
There are two types of media publicity to consider when planning an event: media publicity in the lead up to the event to assist with promotion; and media coverage of the actual event that will lead to media afterwards. Planning for media in the lead up to the event can start up to four weeks out from the event date.
A few questions to ask in the early planning phase are:
- What is new or upcoming in relation to the topic you are focusing on? For example, are there new laws coming into effect, new draft Bills, new inquiries or something noteworthy in this area? Has the topic already attracted media attention?
- If you are having a panel discussion or key note speaker, do the panel members/speaker have any media contacts you may be able to tap into if appropriate?
- If there is an anniversary coming up in the leadup to the event, would it lend itself to, for example, an opinion piece for the mainstream media or an article for, say, The Conversation.
Our Law Week publicist, Mick Paskos, will be managing all media for Law Week and will be available to chat to you in the lead up to the event.
Law Week Grants up to $3,000 (excl. GST) will be offered for Law Week 2019 events. Grants will support Law Week events being held in new locations and regional areas. Applications will open Monday 3 December 2018 and close Monday 4 March 2019. More information about our Law Week Grants will be available soon. Please contact our grants team or visit our website if you have any further questions.